This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

PennLogo1 - Copy



Penn Township Municipal Authority - Sunshine Hills

 Has Levels of Manganese

Above EPA Lifetime Health Advisory Levels

Our water system recently exceeded an EPA Lifetime Health Advisory Level for Manganese. Although this incident was not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what happened and what we did to correct this situation.

Testing results we received 09/02/2020 show that our system exceeds the EPA Lifetime Health Advisory Level for Maganese.  The Lifetime Health Advisory Level for Manganese is 0.3mg/L.  Manganese was found at 0.56 mg/L.

What should I do?

You do not need to use an alternative (e.g., bottled) water supply.  However, if you have specific health concerns, consult your doctor.

What does this mean?

This is not an immediate risk.  If it had been you would have been notified immediately.  However, according to EPA exposure to Manganese over certain levels over long periods of time may lead to adverse neurological effects.

Boiling, freezing, filtering or letting water stand does not reduce the manganese level. Excessive boiling can make the manganese more concentrated because manganese remains behind when the water evaporates.

What is Manganese?

Manganese is a naturally occurring element that can be found ubiquitously in the air, soil and water.  Manganese is an essential nutrient for humans and animals.

What happened? What was done?

The Maganese levels exceeded 0.3mg/L. We anticipate resolving the problem once the new treatment system is installed.  At this time that date has yet to be determined.  You will be notified what that date has been determined.

For mor information, please contact Penn Township Municipal Authority at 717-834-6926.

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly ( for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.